Thursday, June 11, 2009

9 Things I recommend to everyone

9. Planet EarthI'm awestruck by the natural world, and this colorful series gave me hours of wonder. "Caves" is my favorite episode because I've been in caves maybe twice, but mostly the series gives us a closer look at climates I thought I knew. Also, the photography will knock your socks off.
8. Jackson Browne: Amazing musician. Few people can make poetry with both words and notes. He can, and makes it seem easy. He also writes about subjects most people don't (aka not love).
7. Tribal belly dance: It rocks! You feel grounded doing it, it's about dancing with other women rather than performing, and the music is more of a fusion: mixed traditional and techno or rock. Plus the costumes are colorful and not too sequin-y. 
6. Political commentators:
  • Ta-Nehisi Coates, a blogger and writer for the Atlantic. Always makes me think.  http://ta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.com/
  • Rachel Maddow, I'm so glad she has her own show that I can watch it on itunes. Smart, fun, interesting.
  • Keith Olbermann, I like him almost as much as Rachel. More smart commentary if you're solidly liberal. 
  • The News Hour with Jim Lehrer on PBS, it is commercial free and goes more in-depth than other news shows. Discussion of issues on the news? No way!
  • Fresh Air on NPR, Terry Gross is always talking about a book or issue that I've never heard of but find fascinating.
5. The Gift, a collection of mystic poetry by Hafiz: His poems are so playful and full of meaning. Uplifting for the bad times, joyful for good times. 
4. Milk: makes me want to fight -phobias; makes me believe in love. 
3. Anything by Malcolm Gladwell: He'll dazzle you with his writing. He'll make you love sociology as much as he does. He'll make you rethink everything.
2. The Corporation: This documentary is great if you want to be angry. Admittedly one-sided, but still insightful and informative. 
And the thing I would recommend for all other world-traveling book-loving twenty-somethings: 
1. China Road: Rob Gifford is a great writer with a British wit and years of experience in China. Not only a bisection and examination of this gi-normous country, also one of the most epic road trips ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment